A cursory recollection of how this horrific, economy-killing piece of legislation came to be, not only illustrates a fundamental transgression of the spirit of American government, it shows how the Progressive movement executes an "ends justifies the means" political game plan. Because Progressives believe that the United States should provide socialized healthcare to every living being existing legally in the United States (and some who do not), they purposefully circumvented the legislative process, crafting the legislation with special interest groups – including labor unions, Progressive think tank operatives and foreign aligned special interest groups, behind closed doors and excluding members of the minority party. They then moved the legislation forward – at times threatening to "deem it passed" – along party lines, ignoring the protests of the minority party and howls of discontent from the American citizenry, and into law.
Today, as Republicans in the US House, which has the constitutionally mandated power of the purse, threaten to exclude any aspect of Obamacare from the funding of government operations – which is their constitutional right to do, Progressives and toady Democrats protest that the ACA is "the law of the land." The proclamation would have even the slightest bit of weight if these same hypocrites always acquiesced to "the law of the land." The fact is that they transgress the "law of the land" as a matter of policy; to advance an agenda that is often times anathema to the American system of government and the rule of law.
One can look back to the first Obama Administration's abdication of the rule of law when newly installed Attorney General Eric Holder approved of political appointees at the Justice Department quashing the prosecution of New Black Panther Party members who executed one of the most egregious instances of voter intimidation in modern history. The "law of the land" mandated that the DoJ prosecute these constitutional transgressors to "the fullest extent" of the law. If "the law of the land" was so precious to these Obama-ite Progressives and Democrats, they would have been exploring ways to include charges of racial discrimination (as the perpetrators were Black and targeting White voters) and hate crimes. But, "the law of the land" wasn't so important as to be followed in this instance.
One could look into the non-enforcement of immigration laws by the Obama Administration to evidence their selective support of "the law of the land." For the entire tenure of Mr. Obama's presidency we have witnessed border patrol members and their union representatives catalog a litany of directives emanating from DHS obfuscating efforts to secure our nation's borders and hold to justice those who have broken our laws to exist here. Yet, in a post-911 world, when we hold proof-positive in our hands that Hezbollah, Hamas and al Qaeda are working with Mexican and South American drug cartels, the "law of the land" isn't so important to the Progressives and their sycophant Democrats so as to be honored.
The several Congressional investigations into operational and political malfeasance executed under the Obama Administration provide ample evidence that the Executive Branch Progressives have little use for "the law of the land" when it does not suit their need or the advancement of their ideological, globalist or social justice agendas. The US Constitution gives the power of oversight – including subpoena powers – to Congress. Yet today the Obama Administration routinely obstructs congressional investigators, usurping "the law of the land":
▪ Fast & Furious saw the Holder Justice Department illegally facilitating the movement of banned weapons across the Mexican border. And even in the face of the deaths of US Border Patrol Agents, the Obama Administration – to this day – thwarts efforts to fully investigate the program.
▪ The politically motivated use of the Internal Revenue Service to target what can only be described as opposition groups, i.e. TEA Party, Conservative and Libertarian advocacy groups, stands as one of the more serious misuses of a federal agency to affect politics in the history of the country. In fact, it was the second count in the impeachment indictment leveled against former-Pres. Richard Nixon. Yet, the Obama Administration shows little interest in assisting congressional investigators in their pursuit of protecting the American citizenry from their own government's unlawful actions. (Note to Mr. Obama...President Nixon at least had the nobility to resign).
▪ The expansion – not just the continuation – of the NSA domestic surveillance program arguably usurps the Fourth Amendment protections provided the citizenry, but under the guise of protecting the country, even some members of Congress who have Top Secret clearances are kept in the dark on the program by members of the Obama Administration.
▪ And as four brave Americans – Amb. Christopher Stevens, Ty Woods, Sean Smith & Glen Doherty – lay cold in their graves, exclusively because Mr. Obama and his Progressive crew couldn't be exposed for their putting politics ahead of protecting American assets overseas; American soil in the form of Embassy grounds, the "most transparent" administration in American history hides behind anything that will give them cover so as not to act in the spirit of "the law of the land"; so as not to afford the justice "the law of the land" is owed those four dead Americans (Note to former-Secretary of State and potential 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton: Yes, it does matter, to every American but the Progressive elected class, evidently).
But getting back to Obamacare being "the law of the land," and the fact that these Progressive ideologues intend to inflict this economy-killing, divisive, wealth-redistributing program onto the American people, regardless of the fact that it has never – never – been popular with over half of the nation, and that it now falls well short of providing health insurance to "every American," I have two questions:
1) If "the law of the land" is so very important to follow, then how is it that these same people ignore the fact that "the law of the land" allows the House of Representatives to refuse to fund the entitlement program?
2) If the "law of the land" is so sacrosanct then how can these Progressive elitist oligarchs decry any part of the US Constitution – the literal "law of the land" – as malleable; as subject to dictates of the day?
The truth be told, the only time "the law of the land" means anything to Progressives is when it serves their purpose. In any other case it is an edict to be scorned, rebuked, castigated and/or ignored. That Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, the White House Communications Office and President Obama himself shamelessly hide behind the "It's the law of the land" declaration in their defense of the legitimate House effort to save the country from this legislative mistake would be laughable if it weren't so deadly serious.
So, let's dispense with this rhetoric, shall we?
Copyright©2014 Frank Salvato